2018 BIZ X AWARDS NOMINATIONS
Once again our nomination/voting process for the 2018 Biz X Awards nominations uses the latest technology via our website to allow for plenty of social media interaction. So be sure to share the nomination and voting links everywhere you can!
Here again is a quick rundown on how the awards process works. With the publishing of our summer edition, the categories are officially released and nominations are accepted on this page.
Our readers nominate the businesses and people in Windsor Essex who they believe are the best in each category and deserve to be recognized. So if you own a business, ask your customers to nominate you ASAP!
Nominations are accepted from mid-July until September 12 at noon. Link to nomination form at bottom of page.
Whenever possible please include some supporting evidence, for your nominee, on our online form. ***If you choose the wrong category, we reserve the right to move it to the appropriate category so that your nomination counts.
Nominees are made public on the Biz X website when voting commences at noon on September 13 and continues through to September 27 at 5 p.m.
During the voting period you can cast your vote for your choice to win the 2018 Biz X Award in the respective category. You can also vote using your smart phone or tablet via our mobile friendly voting site.
Keep in mind the nomination and voting process is not a popularity contest — it only takes ONE nomination to be included in the voting poll. It is always best though to get a few people to nominate you or your business to ensure your nomination was received by us.
Once you nominate an individual or a business you will receive a confirmation email showing it was properly submitted. If you DO NOT receive this email (check your spam folder too) we did not receive your nomination. Please check all sections were filled out, you have answered the captcha question and re-submit.
If you or your business is fortunate to be nominated, you will be contacted to supply further details on your qualifications, history, and to confirm information supplied by nominators.
Once the polls open in September, don’t be shy to toot your own horn. Do whatever you can to get your customers to vote for you on the Biz X website — use social media and your own website to get those votes coming in!
Remember that vote tallies are only a portion of the overall selection process. All nominations forms received, along with company background information supplied and voting poll results are then reviewed by the Biz X panel of Judges after the polls close.
The next step involves the Judges meeting in the fall to determine the final winners. The Judges do not know the winners’ names as voting during this meeting is done by secret ballot. The final results are posted in the November/December edition of Biz X magazine, released mid-November.
In the past 21 years, Biz X has awarded over 680 recipients in all kinds of industries, so don’t be discouraged if a certain category is not listed as it may have been previously awarded (please check our website to see a list of past winners).
Now that we have entered our second decade of award winners, certain categories from years back are re-done to allow for new businesses in those industries to have the opportunity to be included.
For 2018 you will see our six staple categories awarded every year — “Outstanding New Business,” “Powerhouse Professional,” “Artist of the Year,” “Best Little Retail Shop,” “Restaurant That’s Hot, Hot, Hot” and “The Most Wonderful Event Of The Year.” (Please note that for 2018 festivals and trade shows are now allowed to participate.)
Listed below are the four major sections containing the 24 various categories. While the majority of nominations and votes come from Essex County residents, U.S. citizens and those living outside Essex County can vote in any category, since they could be patrons of the business.
- Only nominate ONE company/person per award category. Businesses/people are only permitted to win one award each year. All nominees must be over 19 years of age.
- Be certain that the company or individual you are nominating fits with the category’s criteria.
- The business/person you nominate must be located (or reside) in Windsor or Essex County and NOT be part of a national franchise/chain or non-profit organization (except for categories in the PEOPLE section and categories #22 and #23). The PEOPLE section is being judged on the individual and not the company itself and those working for chains/franchises and non-profits are eligible to participate only in this section. An exception for category #22 is also allowed as many national organizations have local chapters hosting events. As well in #23 many theatre companies are non-profit.
- Every business in Essex County (with the exceptions above) has the opportunity to win a Biz X Award. *However: NO MEDIA can participate. You do not have to be an advertiser with the magazine to be nominated or to win. Judges are not told who is an advertiser (past or present) to ensure there are no biases or conflicts of interest.
Good luck to all area businesses, and if you are lucky enough to win . . . you and your guests receive a complimentary invitation to the 21st annual “Biz X Awards Gala” (held November 16 at St. Clair College Centre For The Arts with decor by Designs by Diane and Joe McParland as MC); a plaque from The Trophy Boys in Windsor; a write-up in our Nov/Dec awards issue and are declared #1 in your category.
So be sure to check your email account in August or early September to see if we contact you about an awards nomination! Visit: BizXmagazine.com for the very latest information and watch for the September issue to learn how to vote in the 21st annual “Biz X Awards!”
And now we present the. . .
2018 BIZ X AWARD CATEGORIES
*Brackets following award category outline the type of business we are looking for and also mention those that can’t be included as there may have been an award category prior for this specific industry. Please see rules above before nominating.
BUSINESS & SERVICE (*no chains/non-profits allowed)
1. “Outstanding New Business Of 2018” (businesses that opened from September 1, 2017 to September 1, 2018) *No restaurants/food trucks or bars can be included as they can participate in the Hospitality & Entertainment Categories.
2. “Dance Studio That’s One Step Ahead” (a dance studio with experienced instructors offering a variety of classes from hip hop to ballet for children and possibly adult lessons too)
3. “Dependable Day Care” (day care facilities that excel in childcare; take into account: cost, qualifications, safe environment, bonuses such as meals, number of staff)
4. “Tried & Tested Expert Emissions Facility” (a reliable auto shop for an emissions test)
5. “Super Roofer” (a roofing company that completes the job in a timely manner, affordable, good quality products and warranties)
6. “Recording Studio That Sounds Like A Winner” (if you are looking to record your first single as a musician or you want to create a special gift for your loved one; consider qualifications, equipment, price per finished song, turnaround time, past clients)
7. “Money Masters” (a financial planning firm who looks after you now and well into the future) *No bankers please.
8. “2018 Powerhouse Professional” (a local business owner or top manager who has what it takes to keep the company/organization they own or work for profitable in today’s tough times)
9. “Artist Of The Year” (singer, painter, musician, sculptor, band, actor only) *No authors, photographers, corporate entertainment business owners or theatre companies.
10. “The Chiropractor Who Has Your Back” (an experienced back cracker who is a good communicator, puts their patients at ease and offers additional treatments)
11. “All-Star Coach” (a sports coach who motivates the young to give it their all whether it be skating, swimming, playing hockey and more) *No personal fitness coaches please.
12. “The Clothing Designer Who Always Makes A Fashion Statement” (he/she has their own label, trendy designs, may sell clothing through a website or storefront)
13. “Dog Trainer Who’s Here To Stay. Stay.” (obedience training for your pet; consider experience, affordable pricing, if he/she operates out of a facility etc.)
RETAIL (*no chains/non-profits allowed)
14. “The Best Little Retail Shop Of 2018” (open to all retailers with good prices, fantastic customer service and selection) *They must have a storefront, no on-line businesses please.
15. “Finest Flower Shop To Pick” (the florist to call to order flowers for a special employee, family member, friend or even an entire wedding and reception)
16. “Landscape Supply Outlet Which Leaves No Stone Unturned” (who to visit for landscape supplies like stone, mulch, top soil, grass seed, sand, compost etc. either for pick up or delivery)
17. “Steady Streaming Service” (where to purchase an android TV box or antennae, look for excellent customer support, pricing, selection)
18. “Home Healthcare Showroom That Sets The Wheels In Motion” (from wheelchairs and walkers to bath safety or compression stockings, where to buy mobility and/or medical products)
19. “Already Ready Meals Fit For A King” (the place to go for prepared meals requiring little cooking time which are prepackaged for pick-up or even pre-ordered online with delivery) *No restaurants, fast food or take out locations please as have their own section.
HOSPITALITY & ENTERTAINMENT (*no chains/non-profits allowed; exception #22 and #23)
20. “Restaurant That’s Hot, Hot, Hot For 2018!” (can be a new or an existing restaurant/food truck that offers exceptional cuisine, fair prices and has a unique, trendy atmosphere)
21. “Best Seats For Outdoor Eats” (when dining outdoors, a bar/restaurant with great food; an intimate patio or large seating capacity in a good location with a view of the water or busy street etc.) *Please note when nominating in this category and #20, you can only include your choice in one category (not both). We will move any votes accordingly so all are in the appropriate category.
22. “The Most Wonderful Event Of The Year” (annual runs, golf tournaments, motorcycle rides and others; if they fundraise for a charity, brownie points are given!) *Non-profits, charities and national franchises with local events can participate as a special exception and, as of 2018, festivals and trade shows are now also allowed.
23. “Show Stopper Theatre Co.” (theatre production companies with shows in their own location for large audiences or a tour performing in different locations) *Non-profit organizations are allowed to participate.
24. “Burgers To Flip Over” (where’s the beef is the question, although vegetarian choices can be considered, but there must be a good selection of tasty burgers with ingredients you just would not make at home!)