The City of Windsor 2016 interim property tax bills have been mailed.
If you have not received your tax bills by February 9 or have questions in regards to the amount of the bill, please call 311 (Alternate: 519-255-2489) or 1-877-746-4311 for toll-free long distance.
Please note that failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt property owners from paying their taxes. Penalties and interest (which can add up to 15% of the taxes on an annual basis) will be added for late payments.
Consistent with prior years, the interim bill is approved for 50% of the property taxes paid in 2015. Most property owners will see an adjustment on their tax bill for this purpose titled “2016 Interim Tax Cap Adjustment.” Overall, the approved total projected property tax levy for 2016 remains unchanged from the 2015 level. Any changes resulting from an updated assessment value or the Final 2016 Municipal/Education Tax Rates will be reflected in the Final 2016 Tax Bill that will be mailed in June.
Property owners who are having trouble keeping up with their property tax payments are encouraged to seek lower cost financing alternatives which are available through local financial institutions. Assistance through the City for property taxes is provided by way of the following programs:
- Tax Repayment Program: available to all property owners
- Tax Relief Program: available to single family residential property owners that meet the eligibility criteria (application deadline February 29, 2016)
Due dates for regular tax payments are: February 17, March 16, and April 13. The City also offers two convenient pre-authorized payment plans (PAP).
Due dates for each of the PAP plans are as follows:
- Instalment Date Plan: February 17, March 16, April 13
- Monthly Plan: February 16, March 15, April 15, May 16, June 15
Tax payments are accepted through a variety of methods:
- At an approved bank, credit union or trust company
- By mail (cheques only)
- Telephone or online banking
- With your mortgage payments at your financial institution
- City Hall drop-off boxes (cheques only)
- Customer Care Centres (cheques only)
To learn more about property taxes, visit www.citywindsor.ca.