Windsor-Essex Nurses Honoured With Recognition for Excellence, Education Funding
Nurses at Windsor Regional Hospital and Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare were honoured Friday to recognize nursing excellence and continuing education efforts.
Winners of the Jeanne Mance Extraordinary Nursing Care Awards, which go to a nurse who continually goes above and beyond to provide compassionate and professional care to patients and exemplifies teamwork, compassion, stewardship and respect:
- Silvana Macri, RN, 7 Medical, Ouellette Campus
- Kathleen Thomson, Clinical Resource Nurse, OR, Met Campus
- Tracy Fonseca, RPN, 5th Floor/Clinical Teaching Unit, Ouellette Campus
- Kristen LaPlante, RN, Essex ACT 2
- Shelly Ouellette, RN, 3 South
Five nurses were also named as the recipients of the annual Lori Dupont Bursary, which assists staff with continuing education costs. Each successful candidate is awarded up to $1,000. The Bursary recipients were:
- Andrea Lazar, Charge Nurse, 3S, Complex Medical Care of HDGH
- Vlad Giurca, RN, Cardiac Care Unit, Ouellette Campus of WRH
- Kathryn Marentette, RN, 5th Floor/Clinical Teaching Unit, Ouellette Campus of WRH
- Andres Curbelo-Novoa, RN, 6W/General Surgery, Ouellette Campus of WRH
- Stacey McGuire, RN, 6W/General Surgery, Ouellette Campus of WRH
Nurses were nominated by colleagues. Dozens of nominations were received, highlighting the incredible amount of nursing talent throughout our organizations.
“Thank you so much “Certainly it has been an exceptional year and it is unfortunate that we aren’t able to gather formally to present the awards this time around,” said Karen McCullough, Chief Nursing Executive and Chief Operating Officer, Windsor Regional Hospital. “However, it has been a most memorable Nursing Week and one in which we celebrate the dedication and efforts of not only these award recipients selected by their peers, but to all nurses across our hospital and indeed throughout our community.”
“As the world and our community grapples with the COVID-19 pandemic, we are acutely aware of the daily personal sacrifices and extraordinary work you provide for our patients, often going the extra mile to ensure patients receive the care they deserve” said Marg Campigotto, Chief Nursing Executive at Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare. “You are the heroes at the front lines of care during these unprecedented times, providing tireless service that plays an incredible role in the outcomes and experiences of every patient. In addition to hands-on care, I know that you are there to offer a warm smile, or words of reassurance that many patients need, to overcome whatever challenges they face during these difficult times.”
Congratulations to all of our excellent nurses from WRH and HDGH!