Windsor Cancer Centre Foundation “Grow On Windsor” Campaign
Since 2015, the Windsor Cancer Centre Foundation (WCCF) “Grow On Windsor” campaign takes place during the month of November each year. The campaign supports cancer awareness, research and treatment for men living in Windsor Essex. To date, “Grow On Windsor” has raised more than $1 million and, most importantly, every dollar raised in this region stays in this region.
Despite this year being different, the community has already shown a tremendous amount of support for the campaign!
Helping WCCF fundraise this year are seven local men – their “Grow On Windsor” Ambassadors – who have been affected by cancer: Kyle Fanson, Darcy Haggith, Bill Ladouceur, Troy Loop, Steve Roberts, Stephen Savage and Davide Savio.
The WCCF and local Ambassadors are calling on the people of Windsor Essex to rally together with family, friends, co-workers and local businesses to support “Grow On Windsor”. The community’s participation helps fund and support cancer awareness, research, and treatment for men in our region.
Proceeds raised through Grow On Windsor will be used to fund the purchase of two very important items for patients receiving radiation treatment at the Windsor Regional Cancer Centre: the Blue Phantom and the microSTARii System.
The Blue Phantom measures several different characters of the radiation beam to ensure a safe and accurate delivery of treatment. The microSTARii System is used for secondary verification of dose for quality control. It allows staff to access dose to patient critical organs or critical devices during radiation treatment delivery.
Here are some more items funded by the WCCF:
- IV Poles – deliver chemotherapy to patients ($250 each)
- Brachytherapy Equipment – used for internal radiation therapy for prostate cancer patients ($171,295)
- Radiation Treatment Immobilization System – delivers a high dose of radiation in a small number of treatments ($80,000)
- Tissue Processor – enables sectioning of tissue without damage or distortion ($63, 900)
- Auto Microtome – helps to preserve tissue during prostate biopsies ($38,500)
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) Machine – helps diagnose lung cancer ($350,000)
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
It’s not just about growing a beard to show your support (although the WCCF loves that part), you can get involved a number of ways . . .
- Register on-line and begin collecting pledges today
- Register as a team with your family, friends or co-workers
- Pledge in support of an individual or team
- Create or attend an event in support of Grow On Windsor
Visit online to register, pledge and find out about their local events!