COOKING WITH HOPE – Forgot The Flour & The Perfect Grilled Cheese
Since February of 2017, mother and daughter Sue Taranto and Kaylee Lett have been working out of their Board of Health Inspected Certified Kitchen at 1405 Morton Drive in LaSalle, cooking and baking for their small business, Forgot The Flour.
They operate this online bakeshop that focuses on gluten free comfort foods and baked goods. Baking not only gluten free goodies, but making reduced sugar, Keto and vegan items as well, using fresh produce and ingredients straight from their garden. Sue and Kaylee sure do make gluten free look, taste and sound amazing!
Kaylee is celiac, with many other allergies including eggs and dairy, this has helped them to understand the importance of offering a wide variety of products to serve all of their customers’ dietary needs.
Sue and Kaylee absolutely love making gluten free comfort foods and specialty items that are top notch. Their mission is to make eating gluten free affordable, easy and of course, delicious and to win over the most stubborn gluten lovers.
One of their best seller vegan items is their salted caramel cookie dough cheesecake — I can’t wait to get my hands on that cheesecake! If there is something that you would like that is not on the menu, Sue and Kaylee are more than happy to make it for you as they are always striving to expand their menu.
Forgot The Flour would like the community to know that although they are a completely gluten-free bakery, celiac and non-celiac alike can enjoy their vegan products too!
You may also find some of their items stocked at DeMarco’s Fine Foods, Little Foot Foods and the Willow Tree market in Kingsville.
Orders may be placed through our online shop or via email. Once confirmation is received, your order will be ready for pick up in two to three days.
Now onto the recipe section of my blog!
Nothing beats a grilled cheese sandwich.
This week, I am going to teach you how to make the perfect vegan grilled cheese. My family loves this grilled cheese and prefers it actually rather than using regular cheese! You can also make this gluten free by using gluten free bread. I paired mine with a kale olive oil and vinegar salad.
You will need…
- 2 pieces of your favourite bread
- Plant-based butter
- 1 handful or slice of Earth Islands vegan cheese
- Using your plant- based butter, spread it on one side of your bread, then place the side with the butter on your frying pan on medium heat on the stove top.
- Add your slice/handful of cheese on top of your bread.
- Butter your second piece of bread on one side, and place your slice on top of your cheese, with the buttered side facing towards you.
- Keep your pan on medium heat, waiting 3 to 4 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown.
- When desired, flip your creation to grill the other side. This side will only take 1 to 2 minutes as your pan is heated now.
- When it is grilled to your liking, add it to your serving plate and enjoy it with a side salad, or just as it is — enjoy!
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @localplanteater if you give this a try.