Deadline Approaches for Flood Victims to Apply for Provincial Financial Assistance
The Ontario government is reminding those affected by the September 29, 2016 flood in the City of Windsor, Town of Tecumseh and Town of Lakeshore, that the deadline to apply for financial assistance through the Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians program is January 31, 2017.
Follow these tips when completing your application. Incomplete applications can result in processing delays, so ensure that you fill in the forms correctly and completely:
- Review the program guidelines, eligibility information and frequently asked questions on the program’s website.
- Fill out the Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians application form with as much detail as possible, including an inventory of the losses you are claiming and a description of the cleanup you have done. The form is available on the program website.
Attach copies of supporting documents to the application, including:
- A copy of a valid driver’s license or other valid Ontario Photo Card
- If you are a homeowner, a copy of your property tax bill or other legal documents establishing ownership of your home
- If you have insurance, documentation from your insurance company confirming coverage or denial, and any payment received
- Documentation to support each of the costs you are applying for. For example, receipts, invoices and photographs for repairs to or replacement of damaged items. If you have not yet completed the work, or have not yet replaced eligible damaged items, attach quotes or estimates instead.
Check your eligibility for the Special Provisions for Low-Income Households. If you are eligible, complete the Special Provisions form and attach copies of your tax assessments as evidence. Damage caused by sewer backup is generally not eligible under the program, unless you qualify for the special provision.
- Remember to sign your application before mailing.
- Keep a copy of the application form and the originals of all documents.
If you are still unsure if you’re eligible or have questions about your application, call 1-844-780-8925 for more information or email.
The province will review all claims it receives against the program guidelines, and will make every effort to process claims quickly.
Eligible applicants affected by the 2016 southwestern Ontario flood (City of Windsor, Town of Tecumseh and Town of Lakeshore) have until January 31, 2017 to apply for assistance.