Photo by Rodney Denis – Biz X magazine
2018 Biz X Awards Gala Winners
With A Little Luck A Huge Success Once Again!
Biz X magazine proudly presented its 21st Annual Biz X Awards Gala on November 16, 2018 at St. Clair College Centre for the Arts recognizing the best businesses and biz pros in Windsor-Essex.
The theme of the evening was “Blackjack 21: A Run Of Good Luck” with many suppliers and local businesses contributing to the success of the evening. The number 21 (also called Blackjack) represents the number of years Biz X has been published and was an appropriate fit for the theme of the evening and accompanying awards issue.
Our award history goes back to 1998, and to date, over 680 Biz X Awards have been handed out. Like every year before, the new batch of nominees are simply the best our region has to offer and we congratulate each of the 207 nominees. In our view, all are exceptional business owners or top managers of local organizations, but there can be only one winner of each category in the end.
These lucky recipients attended the exclusive awards gala in an elegant setting with décor by Designs by Diane and an Awards Ceremony featuring expert technical services and lighting by Bigtime Presentations. There was also Blackjack games from Festival Tent and a fun photo booth from Windsor Weddings. A delicious four course meal (including Chicken Chardon and a special Blackjack dessert with edible cards) was prepared by St. Clair and paired with wines from Pelee Island Winery.
Award sponsors include: Motor City Community Credit Union; The Windsor-Essex Economic Development Small Business Centre; St. Clair College Alumni Association; Tecumseh Mall, and the Community Gaming & Entertainment Group.
For this formal event, our Biz X men, Judges and celebrity presenters were outfitted by Collins Clothiers. Winners also received a plaque from The Trophy Boys, to display in their place of business.
See accompanying photos with. . .
- The Biz X family and writing/photography team
- Joe McParland, our “natural” MC and Biz X writer Andrea Grimes
- Entertainers Pat and Nino
- Celebrity presenters Greg Gynp from Bell Media and Jay Marchillo from Mix 96.7 Blackburn Radio
- Biz X Award Judges: LouAnne Hunt, Justin Fox, Chad Goulet, Justin Barker, Steve Meehan and Jason Kerluck
- Publisher Deborah Jones with a friend shown with the beautiful red roses sent to her for a great show from partner Jack Rosenberg
- St. Clair College Centre for the Arts management and culinary team
- Tony and Nick from Dinunzio Protection Services
- Exclusive Limo supplier, Jack Jobin from Limos by Mr. J’s
- Biz X Ambassadors Karen and Stuart Miller
- Rose Anguiano Hurst and her guest from WEST
- Stacey H. and friend from The Trophy Boys
- Kristina and Josh from Windsor Weddings and also Mara and helper at their photo booth
- IT Specialist Jack Eisenberg from Safe & Secure Computing
- Andrea Morosin, Host of Plugged IN on YOURTV
- Firefighters from Sparky’s Toy Drive collected over $5,300 in cash and toys!
- Becky Langlois and guests from the Motor City Community Credit Union
- Reps from award winners: Arquette Insurance & Wealth, Ani & Fabi, Blimeys, Doctor J, Charelle Designs, Patrick Daniher Top Soil, Diamond Home Improvement Co. and Macro Foods
- Jason Kennedy and his team from Bigtime Presentations
- Photographer Rod Denis and assistant Jamie Lees
Photos by Rod Denis – Biz X magazine
And the winners are…
- “Outstanding New Business Of 2018” – Ani & Fabi
- “Dance Studio That’s One Step Ahead” – Dance Barre
- “Dependable Day Care” – The Toy Box Inc.
- “Tried & Tested Expert Emissions Facility” – Doctor J Auto Clinic
- “Super Roofer” – Diamond Home Improvement
- “Recording Studio That Sounds Like A Winner” – SLR Studios
- “Money Masters” – Arquette Insurance & Wealth Management
- “2018 Powerhouse Professional” – Lauren Edwards, Pet Valu, Moggy’s Mission, Charlotte’s Freedom Farm, Hoof Apparel
- “Artist Of The Year” – Debbie Kay
- “The Chiropractor Who Has Your Back” – Dr. Jonathan Bekic, Lifetime Wellness Center
- “All-Star Coach” – Lisa English, Little Kickers
- “The Clothing Designer Who Always Makes A Fashion Statement” – Charlene Buffitt, CharElle Designs
- “Dog Trainer Who’s Here To Stay. Stay.” – Jamie Kerester, Paws On The Ranch/Paws For Love Inc.
- “The Best Little Retail Shop Of 2018” – Blimeys British Store & Gift Shop
- “Finest Flower Shop To Pick” – Oak Farms Flower Outlet Inc.
- “Landscape Supply Outlet Which Leaves No Stone Unturned” – Patrick Daniher Top Soil
- “Steady Streaming Service” – SkyVu Solutions
- “Home Healthcare Showroom That Sets The Wheels In Motion” – Maxim Medical Supplies
- “Already Ready Meals Fit For A King” – Macro Foods Inc.
- “Restaurant That’s Hot, Hot, Hot For 2018!” – Factory House
- “Best Seats For Outdoor Eats” – Sandbar Waterfront Grill
- “The Most Wonderful Event Of The Year” – “Windsor ComiCon”
- “Show Stopper Theatre Co.” – Windsor Light Music Theatre
- “Burgers To Flip Over” – Mamo Burger Bar
Photos by Kimberly Jussila – Biz X magazine
THANK YOU TO ALL OUR SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS AND FRIENDS FOR THEIR SUPPORT TO MAKE OUR GALA THE BEST ONE YET!
Watch for video footage recorded by the Film Camp for Kids & Youth in partnership with MANAN Media to be posted here in the follow weeks!
And more to come in the January issue of Biz X with all acceptor and official plaque photos by Rod Denis and ceremony shots by Kim Jussila. Acceptance speeches will be shown on YourTV (Channel HD 700) in January 2019 on the “Plugged In” show. Keep checking here for details!
Photos by Kimberly Jussila – Biz X magazine