Scholarship Fund Established in Memory of Constable John Atkinson in Honour of His Service
The Constable John Atkinson Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in memory of Constable John Atkinson to honour his service and the ultimate sacrifice he made while protecting the citizens of Windsor and Essex County. In 2006, Shelley Atkinson created the Constable John Atkinson Fund at the WindsorEssex Community Foundation in order to keep John’s memory alive.
A decade later, Shelley designated the fund to aid students pursuing a career in Law Enforcement. In 2018, the Constable John Atkinson Memorial Fund awarded its first scholarship. This year, the Fund will be awarding two scholarships to two prospective students each for $1,125. Helping the next generation of law enforcers reach their potential is John’s legacy.
The WECF holds different scholarship funds awarding over $16,000 this year. The applications are now open.
- Constable John Atkinson Memorial Scholarship Fund;
- Father Matt Sheedy Scholarship Fund;
- Gale & Irene (Knister) Taylor Scholarship Fund;
- Harding Electric/Morris and Ruth Harding Memorial Endowment Fund;
- Hitchcock Family Foundation Fund;
- Hocktoberfest Scholarship Fund;
- Kolody Scholarship Fund
- Martha Reavley Community & Leadership Award
- Michael G. Solcz Endowment Fund
- Rotary Club of Windsor (1918) Centennial Scholarship Fund
- Shawn Boxe Memorial Scholarship Fund
The WindsorEssex Community Foundation, originally founded in 1983 as Heritage Windsor, is a perpetual community trust for philanthropic purposes. It exists to manage donors’ legacy funds and make grants to support local community programs. Through grant making activities, the WECF is able to establish partnerships to assist a broad range of community organizations.