The WindsorEssex Community Foundation Grants $580,587 to Eight Local Charities
The WindsorEssex Community Foundation as Part of the Green Shield Canada Six 4 Six Community Granting Initiative Grants a Total of $580,587 to Fund Local Programs that Address the Oral & Mental Health Needs of Windsor-Essex
On Thursday, June 27th, 2019, the WindsorEssex Community Foundation (WECF) was joined by Green Shield Canada (GSC) to announce the successful recipients of the GSC Six 4 Six Community Granting Initiative. A total of $580,587 has been granted to eight local charities to fund local programs that address the oral and mental health needs of the Windsor-Essex Community and work to address the five themes identified through the community conversations that the Foundation held earlier this year.
The organizations funded through the GSC Six 4 Six Community Granting Initiative include:
- The Canadian Mental Health Association Windsor-Essex County Branch awarded $25,000 to support their Building a More Mentally Healthy Community project.
- Family Services Windsor-Essex awarded $61,000 to support their Mental Health & Wellbeing for Newcomers project.
- Life After Fifty awarded $56,600 to support their Social Prescription Pilot Project.
- South Essex Community Council awarded $40,920 to support their Building Routes to Mental Wellness Project.
- The Windsor Family Health Team awarded $40,880 to support their One Team Recovery Project.
- Windsor Residence for Young Men awarded $26,186 to support their Youth Independence Program.
- The United Church Downtown Mission Windsor awarded $165,000 to support their Oral Health for All project.
- The Multicultural Council of Windsor & Essex County awarded $165,000 to support their Oral Health Navigator Project.
“On behalf of the WECF we want to thank Green Shield Canada for providing us with the opportunity to address the oral and mental health needs of the Windsor-Essex Community. We also want to thank the Honey Family Foundations for their generous contributions of $50,000 towards this initiative to increase access to mental health programs in Windsor-Essex. Because of these two donations, the WECF was able to grant $580,587 yesterday to support worthy programs that address the oral and mental health needs of Windsor-Essex. Congratulations, once more to the grant recipients, we look forward to seeing the positive impact your projects will have in our community.” – Lisa Kolody , the WECF Executive Director
GSC is Canada’s only national not-for-profit health and dental benefit provider, and our purpose is to make it easier for people to live their healthiest lives. From coast-to-coast, our service delivery includes drug, dental, extended health care, vision, hospital and travel benefits for groups and individuals, as well as administration services. Supported by outcomes-based sustainability strategies, advanced technology and exceptional customer service, we create innovative programs for over 3.7 million plan participants nationwide.
The WindsorEssex Community Foundation, originally founded in 1983 as Heritage Windsor, is a perpetual community trust for philanthropic purposes. It exists to manage donors’ legacy funds and make grants to support local community programs. Through grant making activities, the WECF is able to establish partnerships to assist a broad range of community organizations.