Stigma Enigma Addresses Recent Celebrity Suicides
In view of the recent celebrity deaths of Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain by suicide, and the very real contagion associated with suicide, our Stigma Enigma committee is advising our community to be on heightened alert with regards to you or your loved ones mental health. Do not be afraid to ask – get help immediately. Our voices need to be heard, and every voice matters.
We commend the Windsor Star for their excellent, timely article “celebrity suicides in the spotlight” written by Sharon Kirkey June 11, 2018.
Mental illness does not discriminate. Suicide is complex, tragic, devastating, guilt ridden and unfortunately very common. Rates continue to rise. Suicide is also preventable. Death is not the answer.
Please reach out:
- 24HR Crisis Centre Windsor – 519-973-4435
- Community Outreach and Support Team – 519-973-4435 8am – 10pm
- Canadian Mental Health Association – 519-255-7440
- 24HR Provincial Mental Health Crisis Line – 1-866-531-2600
- 24HR Suicide Prevention Lifeline – 1-800-273-8255
- Teens – Maryvale – 519-258-0484 – 8am – 5pm, after hours 519-258-0549 ext 2177
Stigma Enigma also wants to stress the need for better overall financing of our mental healthcare system, the need for more research funding, and a greater investment in suicide prevention.
Dr. Patrick Smith
Director Stigma Enigma